Tuesday, May 27, 2008

County Visit Day

Staffs have been revealed, so I know who I'll be working with. Since then, we've decided who will do which position (food/finance/supplies/volunteer coordinator). Also, we've had some time to bond and discuss how we work and what we expect of each other. Good times. I will spare you the details of all of the unique personalities on my staff. Just believe me when I say that there are some characters.


I had a day to visit my county (appropriately named "County Visit Day"). I went to Bluefield and met with a few important people. I met with the manager of the building we'll be staying in, the hardware store folks, and a local aid organization. In my adventure, I stopped at a coffee house called "News and Brew." I thought it would be a good place to get a feel for the local political atmosphere, and I was right. I read the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, and also overheard a man who came in talking about what he had covered on his "show." Turns out he hosts a local talk radio show, and also heads the Bluefield Union Mission (which spells BUM). BUM is another organization I had planned on seeking out that day for the purpose of getting more information about local issues, which would give us the ability to mix some advocacy in with our usual programming with the volunteers.

After explaining who I am and what we do, Craig Hammond said he would love to come to our center a couple times in the summer and talk about local issues affecting poverty. He also said we should come on his show one morning to promote ASP and talk about what we do. We followed this with discussion of issues such as school closings and problems with reporting election results.

After I had finished all my meetings, I decided to do some exploring. So I checked out the City Park where our picnics will be held, and which is also the home of the Bluefield Orioles, the local baseball team in the Appalachian League, and the team with which Cal Ripken got his start!

I saw a visitors center sign, so I went in and got brochures and maps. Across the street was an old building (we're in downtown Bluefield now) with a sign that said "Gary Bowling's House of Art." I went in to check it out. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have never been so impacted by a building and what's in it. This three-story historic building was decked out with art of all types in all mediums, a stage, a cafe, and artist's studios. The art ranges from extremely quirky to serious, and Gary himself is definitely way on the quirky side. We spoke (along with some other locals who had recently moved back to Bluefield) about what Bluefield was, what it is, and how Bluefield is now redefining itself. "Bluefield is coming back. It's not going to be what it was--and so this is us redefining ourselves."

For historical background, Bluefield was the backstage of the industrial revolution. The city experienced rampant growth, building glamorous skyscrapers, etc. In its fall, these buildings burnt down, and the population at least halved. The term "ghost city" would be fitting.

Back to Gary's House of Art. It has only been open for three months, so it's just getting started. Gary says that when he's done, he'd "put it up against anything on the east coast." I have no doubt that he will. They don't have a website up yet, but they're working on it. His passion (and what he has created) is very inspiring. We may try to incorporate his building into the volunteer's week somehow. Possibly have Friday night evening gathering on the second floor where there is a lot of space.

We leave for Bluefield Saturday, and I can't wait because I'm tired of training. I'm ready to get this thing rolling (*fist pump*).

So as you can tell, I'm very excited. Hopefully these allergies will leave me alone by the time we get to Bluefield. I had to sign out for decongestant at the pharmacy (so I don't use it to make methamphetamines).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!