Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sculling Isn't Easy...

...And it's nothing like kayaking*. I've rowed in college for three fall seasons, and four spring seasons. I think I've gotten as good as I'll ever be at [sweep rowing]. [Sculling] is an entirely different animal.

[SEE BELOW FOR VOCAB REVIEW]

Sculling, as opposed to sweep rowing requires very good balance and form just to keep you from flipping, and going for a swim. When you're in a boat with 7 other rowers, you can get by with terrible balance and form. The only consequence is that you go slower. In an eight, you have four oars on each side to keep the boat from falling to one side. In a single, you have two tiny oars.

I've had four full practices in the single so far--out on my own working on balance and form. I'm still not at the point where I can get in the boat, shove off the dock, and take off rowing. I still have to consciously remind my muscles of what to do. For a seasoned college oarsman, this is difficult and frustrating at times.

Today, I was able to keep up with the novice eight and four as they did drills. My form and balance are improving, and for a few strokes, I was able to lift the [blades] off the water on the recovery, and [square up] early, and get a nice crisp clean [catch]. That's the thing I miss most about rowing with the team. I can't stand to have sloppy catches.

While we were waiting for the four to turn around, the eight and I did catch-release drills. This involves posing at the "finish" with the blade squared and buried, then coming to the "catch," and catching, but not rowing. This is really hard to do in a single, because it is so hard to balance.

The end of the story is that after one of the drills, I struggled with keeping my balance, and in a most-hilarious manner, ended up jumping ship. The water was so cold that it was hard to breathe, but I managed to get one of the oars unlocked, then climbed into the safety launch (thanks Elana). I got back in and rowed to the boathouse, lucky that it was a beautiful day. It turns out that my decision not to practice at 5 this morning was a good one. I would have gone in well before sunrise, and come out of the freezing water to 33 degrees Fahrenheit air.

Unrelated note: I saw some guys catching HUGE fish in the Anacostia. I mean, 3' long, and about as thick as my...torso. I was under the impression that nothing could possibly be alive in the murky waters, but somehow that huge fish survives.

Somewhat related note: What are you doing for spring break? I plan on rowing, biking, eating and sleeping in an endless loop for 9 days. I can't wait!

*Tristan commented on the last post: "but really, isn't a single just a fancy term for a kayak?"

Sweep Rowing - Each rower has one oar only. Each rower is a port or a starboard rower. This is done in a pair, four, or eight. Typically, college rowers are sweep rowers, and compete mainly in an eight. The eight are called "the crew." (plus the coxswain)

Sculling - Each rower has two oars, and the oars are smaller. This is done in a single, double, quad, or octuple.

Blade - The part of the oar that you put in the water.

Square Up - Turn the oar so that it's in the "drive" position. It's a very unstable position because the blade is no longer helping you hold the boat upright.

Catch - The part of the stroke where your squared-up blade enters the water, and begins to take a stroke. It's kind of the "beginning" of the stroke.

Crew (verb) - NOT A WORD! For example: What river do you crew on? Is crewing hard? Why do you wake up so early to crew?

No comments: